Sunday, April 25, 2010

rapid rambling reflections

It is hard to believe that my first year back in school is almost at its end. 3 days of classes, 2 exams, and 1 paper stand between me and the relative relaxation of simply being a scientist rather than juggling doing science alongside taking science classes. I am looking forward to being able to focus on my research and getting ready for summer field work. I have really felt like classes were slowing down the research this semester. I also have a good feeling for what material I need to read up on to increase my background knowledge directly relevant to my research, and I haven't been able to make much progress in that while focusing on my classwork. I have 3 textbooks that I would like to read this summer. I am hoping I can get other students to read them with me. It is funny how much more likely I am to stick to something (be it reading a textbook or going to the climbing gym regularly) when I set a schedule with a friend. Somehow it is easier to come up short on promises to myself than to others (I wonder what a psychologist would say about that). I think I am finally getting over my inferiority complex and beginning to feel like I actually belong in this program, and have (or will eventually have) something meaningful (albeit probably small) to contribute to the general body of knowledge that is science.

2 comments:

  1. Yippeee! I suffered from that same inferiority complex one time too at said place, and it does go away. You are indeed a scientist, you do belong there. And I am so proud of you, lil sis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been a scientist since you were nine years old... and I am very proud of you too.

    ReplyDelete