Sunday, July 19, 2009

Adventuring in tide pools... Part 2





Here are some images of what we collected yesterday. The tide pools always amaze me with how many organisms and types of organisms can be crammed into such a small location. These mussel (Mytilus edulus) for example has barnacles (Semibalanous balanoides), encrusting red algae, limpet (Crepidula fornicata, yes that's its latin name), red coraline algae (Corallina officinalis), bits of some red and green algae, and a hydroid all growing on it... and that isn't even thinking about the microbial world!

I am also posting some pictures of the aggregation of species collected when I pulled up the Laminaria digitalis that I wrote about yesterday. I feel the need to note that I realize that the latin names should be italicized, but I haven't yet figured out how to do that through blogger, so... stand by!

1 comment: